Re: Unsupported character set

On 21.08.01 at 21:31, Jared <cetae@charter.net> wrote:

>I was trying to check to see if my page was valid, and I was surprised by
>the error I got.
>
>>A fatal error occurred when attempting to transliterate the document
>>charset. Either we do not support this character encoding yet, or you
>>have specified a non-existent character encoding (typically a misspelling
>>such as "iso8859-1" for "iso-8859-1").
>>
>>The detected charset was "x-mac-roman".
>>
>>The error was "x-mac-roman undefined; replace by macintosh".
>
>The part I really don1t understand is the last part, replace what, by
>macintosh?

Martin: we should probably change this to read:

  The error was: "x-mac-roman" is undefined; replace it with "macintosh"

And maybe even mark up the charset name as <code>. The crucial detail
though, is probably to use "with" instead of "by" in that sentence[0]?

Jared: if you substitute that last "by" with "with", does the message make
more sense to you?

>Also, I would think that this would be supported, but obviously not.  If
>you know a way to change what the character set is in the HTML Headers,
>please let me know.

Ok, most likely you have a HTML file with a <META http-equiv="Content-Type"
content="text/html; charset=x-mac-roman"> somewhere, no? Simply change the
"x-mac-roman" bit to "macintosh" and you're good to go.

If your HTML doesn't contain the charset, it must be your server sending
it. How to change this is highly server-specific and I'm afraid you'll have
to talk to your server vendor to find out how to change it. If you post the
name of the server software (and preferably it's version number) here,
someone may be familiar with the software in question and able to answer
your question. If the server software is controlled by a hosting service,
their tech support should be able to change this in no time; and if they're
a decent outfit they should be able to tell you how you can change this
yourself. Feel free to send them my way if they have any questions.

[0] - English isn't my first language so my "feel" for it isn't always
      quite what it should be. I /think/ "with" rather then "by" is
      correct here, but don't shoot me if I'm wrong, `k? :-)