Re: Neither!

At 07:20 PM 8/16/2001 , §ee†hing¹³ wrote:
>I do believe I am most likely missing your point Matt, as I cannot
>figure out WHY you would be adding the trailing / to all your tags if
>you are NOT wanting to convert to XHTML.

Hi, Matt, the problem is this:

You can't have something validate as both valid XHTML and valid HTML.

The two are incompatible at the validation level.  (They can be made
mostly compatible at the user agent level, because browsers are more
forgiving -- and rightly so -- than just validators.)

But it's not possible to create a document -- well, a complex document
at least -- that could validate as both XHTML and as HTML.  Which means
that you can't use XHTML in documents described as HTML, and you can't
used HTML in documents described as XHTML.

They are different standards, and you can only match one or the other
in nearly any situation you could come up with.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                http://kynn.com/
Technical Developer Liaison, Reef             http://www.reef.com/