RE: iso-8859-1-Windows-3.1-Latin-1

Dear Liam,
You are quite observant.
Please accept that for a certain minority of us, neutral apostrophes and
quotation marks (in proportional spaced fonts) are glaringly obvious,
intolerably ugly, and hallmarks of amateurishness.  Some of this group, of
which I am not ashamed to be a member, refuse to write without them.
It was a result of off-list admonishment I got resulting from my post at
that I started manually including the Windows charset statement.  I believe
that "windows-1252" was not technically IANA approved at the time.  Is it
approved now?
I understand that including the charset reference doesn't really make the
typographical apostrophe and quotation marks &#146 &#147; &#148; that I
insist on using much more cross platform compatible, but in theory it could
help.
I am not about to start coding with 8-bit ASCII.  That would make my content
LESS available even it made it more, strictly speaking, valid.
Until such time that Microsoft and Netscape have browsers that render <Q>
... </Q> properly, I will continue to use &#147; ... &#148;  It can't be
that much of a big deal, AOL Press has handled <Q> ... </Q> properly for a
few years now!  Once the school where I teach (and much of the rest of the
world) gives up on Navigator 4x, I will switch to &ldquo; and &rdquo;  For
now, I believe quite fervently (and with defensible reason) that the &#147;
... &#148; construct does the least harm!
Sincerely,
Bruce

P.S.  I am loath to admit it, but if you or Gerald change your validators to
reject those characters, this would also prompt me to stop using them.