Re: Page Valet

On 18.04.01 at 14:29, Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Glenn Kusardi wrote:
>
>>So some people want to start a 'translation'-project now.
>
>I'd be interested in that.  I'm sure the folks responsible for the
>other validators will be interested too, so I'm copying this to
>the w3c-validator mailing list, where people will see it.

We'd most definitely be interested! Unfortunately, the infrastructure isn't
ready for l10n yet. We have whole bunch of i18n work to do make this
feasible even in "brain dead" mode. Smart l10n is hopeless as it stands.

>However, one development I want to make (if I can ever find the time)
>is proper multilingual support in SP - so a single version will support
>ParserMessages.[en|de|fr|it|etc] as and when a translation is available.

...even to the point where we couldn't even take advantage of a localized
SP because we make assumptions about the language used in it's output.

We'd really like to remedy that -- it's one of the main reasons I got
involved with the project in the first place -- but right now it's a non
starter.

However, if anyone has suggestions for how to improve it from the POV of
localizers, I'd be more then happy to hear from them. i18n work is blocked
by other work (that will make i18n far easier) at the moment, but it's
planned and a reasonably high priority.

Oh, and if any of the other Validators gain any experience with i18n,
please do share! Much better to get it right the first time... :-)