Re: An annotating link checker

On 11.04.01 at 14:01, Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org> wrote:

>I am trying to figure out how to make the validators produce stuff that
>can be transferred easily to other tools for repair, and can be stored a
>bit more permanently.
>
>So I have the beginnings of some ideas for checklink sketched out at
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-annotation/2001JanJun/0017
>
>This thread is also a follow up to
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2001JanMar/0292 where I
>sort of foreshadowed some of this.

Well, Hugo is the "checklink" dude and Gerald the boss of "check", so I'm
just shooting from the hip here...

I talked to Sean about EARL a while back and he proposed some syntax for
the Validator output. We didn't really cover Annotea, and I'm not familiar
with it, so perhaps you could elaborate a bit? I'm also not really familiar
with the details of RDF so I can't really tell what a sane syntax for
Validation results would be.

Anyways, returning a structured format from the Validator is something that
I've been meaning to do for a long time (Hi Chris. ;D), but it hinges on
some other changes and I don't have a format to use yet. Once the first
format is there, adding more shouldn't be a big problem -- the changes I
mention involve separating the output format from the validation code[0] --
so whether it's EARL or something else isn't that important (because other
formats can be easily added).

Posting something to an (the?) Annotea server should be feasible once that
support is in place, but with the caveat that I'm not familiar with Annotea
so I don't know exactly what that would involve.

I'm somewhat in limbo right now where connectivity and such is concerned,
but I'm expecting that to resolve itself within a couple of week at most.
Once that's in place I'll be working some more on the Validator and that
would probably be the time to look at Annotea a bit more closely.

[0] - I have this running in a prototype, but need to rewrite it to
      make it fit in with the current state if the Validator and run
      it by Gerald to see what changes he wants to make sure it
      doesn't break anything /too/ badly. :-)