Re: [Bug] XHTML Strict Minimal document

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Terje Bless wrote:

> Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>
> > Agreed. I think we should think about how to implement these error messages.
> > Liam Quinn patched SP [1] to generate more helpful error messages for his
> > validator; I'm currently translating these error messages into german. Terje
> > said several times that he has to do something about these error messages to.
> > Maybe this is the right time to discuss this issue.
[...]
> Switching to lq-nsgmls (Liam's version) should be about as quick if
> anyone wants to look into that (Gerald, weren't you already considering
> this?). My concerns with this approach is that SP has to be recompiled
> every time you want to change a message and only one language can be
> used at a time (AFAIK, Liam?)

Yes, SP is limited to one language at a time, and you need to recompile
whenever changing a message.  It'd be simple (but somewhat ugly) to have
separate binaries of (lq-)nsgmls for each language.  It should also be
possible to hack SP's message system to support multiple languages, but
I'm not sure if this is worthwhile as the advantage--being able to quickly
update the parser for all languages--seems to be outweighed by the
disadvantage--making it harder to integrate future changes from the
one-language SP.

> plus it leaves us with a divergen version
> of SP.

FWIW, the changes for lq-nsgmls are at
<http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/src/sp-1.3.4/>.  There are only a
few files that differ, and you can leave behind my URLStorage changes if
you like (those changes add support for name-based virtual hosts when
fetching DTDs).

Regards,

--
Liam Quinn