Re: Validator problem

On 17.10.00 at 09:58, psp@mindpass.com wrote:

>I get an error because the word "document" is part of an URL - why?

Sorry, that error message is a bit misleading. You are using ampersands to
separate parameters to a CGI program, but you haven't encoded the
amperstands in your HTML. In HTML, the amperstand introduces an entity
reference so the Validator is in effect telling you that it doesn't know
any "&document;" entity.

To fix this problem, encode all the amperstands in your URLs as "&".
E.g.

/addcounter.asp?id=7288&document=Ingen_Script
                       ^^^^^

Browsers will internally decode the "&" into just "&" before it sends
the request.

>I tried to read the FAQ from http://validator.w3.org/feedback.html
>but I can't get access.

Hmm, seems WDG is down again. The FAQs should probably be hosted locally on
w3.org. Thanks for reminding me.

--
As a cat owner, I know this for a fact...
Nothing says "I love you" like a decapitated gopher on your front porch.