Re: .html and nothing else

Well - you can take me out and execute me if you want.  It was mostly my
idea.

XHTML 1.0 is a transitional standard.  It permits people to author in
XML and be backward compatible.  Without that, no one would use XHTML
because there are no browsers that can interpret text/xml correctly
(there weren't then, there aren't now).

XHTML 1.1 also does not address this issue.  XHTML 2.0 is the
specification that is targeted to finish the transition.  We hope that
by that time browsers will actually know how to deal with text/xml, that
there will be a style sheet and stylesheet support that adequately
describes HTML semantics, and that XML/Linking (the specification that
permits hypertext in XML) will be complete. Without these things,
text/xml documents are basically just nicely structured data.

XML without linking and stylesheets is just named parenthesis.

--
Shane P. McCarron                  phone: +1 763 786-8160
ApTest                               fax: +1 763 786-8180