Re: Validator option suggestion

On 01.11.00 at 20:47, Patrick  D. F. Ion <ion@ams.org> wrote:

>At 6:21 PM -0500 11/1/00, Hugo Haas wrote:
>>On Wed, Nov 01, 2000, Patrick D. F. Ion wrote:
>>>The Validator is a fine service, and I'm sure I should use it more often
>>>than I do.
>>
>>I guess that you are talking about the link checker[1].
>
>Yes.  I think of it as an option in the Validator service. Since the files
>are already all valid HTML 4.01, returning that happy news from the
>validation option, I'm perhaps less conscious of its basic function.

Are you using the form at <URL:http://validator.w3.org/> or the one at
<URL:http://validator.w3.org/checklink>?

It sounds as if you are using the W3C HTML Validation Service to check the
validity of your HTML and you are seeing errors of the type "Sorry I cannot
validate this document because you used a SYSTEM identifier instead of a
PUBLIC one" and that you have supplied a relative URI in the DOCTYPE
declaration. e.g.

    "/TR/1999/PR-xhtml1-19991210/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

... instead of ...

    "http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/PR-xhtml1-19991210/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

But Hugo is responding in context of the W3C Link Checker -- which checks
that you have no dead links in your document -- and a document that is only
available from inside a limited domain which will return the HTTP 1.1 "401
Unauthorized" status code
(<URL:http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html#sec10.4.2>)
when the link checker attempts to fetch it.