Re: Validator option suggestion

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000, Patrick D. F. Ion wrote:
> The Validator is a fine service, and I'm sure I should
> use it more often than I do.

I guess that you are talking about the link checker[1].

> I do have one simple suggestion for an option that would
> make checking some specs easier.  At present, if a link is
> to something within the W3C Domain I get a warning, in a line
> in blue, that I had better substitute a public link.  Indeed
> that is what will happen when the document is moved to
> TR status due to the relative nature of the links involved.  In the
> meantime, I get literally thousands of
> such blue lines from the MathML spec, which I have to ignore.
> Would it be possible to provide an option of not warning for
> links within W3C?   I agree that one needs eventually to
> have excised private links for publication, but in the meanwhile it
> seems not to be making the process of
> validation easier.

Yes, if a document is in a private space and it has a bunch of links in
the same area, the link checker will report those links as 401's. This
is because the link checker to check technical reports which are public.

I will look into an option which allows the user to hide 401's if the
document checked is not public.

  1. http://validator.w3.org/checklink

--
Hugo Haas - W3C/MIT