RE: eCommerce links-non compatible with Validator.

On Wednesday, March 22, 2000 at 12:59, DBraverman@ingprime.com (Braverman, David) wrote:

> I thought the problem might have been with the '&' character in the
> parameter strings. To be compatible, the actual link needs to contain
> '&' instead of just '&':
>
> Good: <a href="http://www.test.com/script.asp?Parm1=ABC&amp;Parm2=DEF">
>
> Bad: <a href="http://www.test.com/script.asp?Parm1=ABC&Parm2=DEF">
> (Results in 'general entity "Parm2" not defined' etc.)

Yes, David's correct. While the W3C validator doesn't do general url
validation it will catch an unencoded & in a URL.

When I say it doesn't do general url validation I mean it won't tell you
that the value of HREF in

is not a valid URI according to the rfc which covers URI. So, you may want
to run the pages thru a linter or syntax checker which supports this since
you have URIs in your anchors which are not well formed according to the
URI spec (specificly you have / characters being used outside of their
reserved purpose and these need to by URI encoded).

--
Christian Smith  |  csmith@barebones.com  |  http://web.barebones.com

He who dies with the most friends... Is still dead!