RE: Ampersands + "Last modified:" Malfunctions

Hi Jim!

>>> Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:01:04 -0400 <correia@barebones.com> >>>
>
> On 11:49 AM 6/29/00 "Alan C. Baird" <ia@apc.net> wrote:
>
> > http://www.xlibris.com/XL/container.asp?element=display.asp&show=b&sku=784
>
> > displays my book, "9TimeZones.com" - while the proposed remedy:
> >
> > http://www.xlibris.com/XL/container.asp?element=display.asp&amp;show=b&amp;sku=784
> >
> > shows a book called "The Seeker"!
>
> But how are you using the second form?  If you paste it into the
> location field of the browser *IT WILL NOT WORK*.
>
> But if you put it as the attribute value of an a tag, the only place
> where you need to entity encode the &, it should work in all modern
> browsers.

Thanks for your kind advice, but some versions of Netscape 3 can't
handle the second link correctly, even when it's placed in a web
page... and a significant percentage of my target market uses these
browsers.

I guess I should just learn to live without a useful validator!

Alan ia@apc.net
[not a member of this list]