Re: The W3C HTML 4.0 Logo

Bernhard Döbler <bard@bardnet.de> wrote:

> I just wanted to download the logo because one page of my website is
> compliant to the HTML 4.01 loose.dtd but I had to realise it's likely
> to download the logo as unknown.bmp. Because it did not show any
> content-type I have to assume the logo is generated and no
> content-type is given.

No, the server does send the Content-Type header, but it's served with
content negotiation.  So if you request a PNG version, the server
returns a PNG image (with "Content-Type: image/png"), and if you
request a GIF version, the server returns a GIF image (with
header to tell the server what format your browser supports, and if
your browser supports PNG, then a PNG version will be served,
otherwise a GIF version will be served.

So if, for example, you link an HTML 4.0 logo on validator.w3.org,
I'd recommend to link it as "http://validator.w3.org/images/vh40",
but if you specifically want a GIF version, just download
"http://validator.w3.org/images/vh40.gif".

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org