Re: On ampersands.

On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 10:44:43PM -0500, Shane P. McCarron wrote:
> Gerald Oskoboiny wrote:
> > There are some cases where the ampersands don't need to be
>
> I don't think I agree.  In SGML, an ampersand always introduces an
> entity reference.

I don't think so. It only introduces an entity reference if the
following character is a legal entity-ref start character.
(I've never read the SGML spec, but that's my understanding.)

> If you want to actually use an ampersand, you are required to
> use &amp;. I don't see any way around this requirement.

I posted two above (that parse with nsgmls without errors.)

--
Gerald Oskoboiny       <gerald@w3.org>  +1 617 253 2920
System Administrator   http://www.w3.org/People/Gerald/