Re: Ampersand trouble?

"Clark Kimberling" <ck6@evansville.edu> wrote:

> Having tried for hours to validate a page, I finally turned to
>
> http://validator.w3.org/feedback.html
>
> and got the impression that URIs which contain Ampersands (&'s) may have
> some problems.

For more information, take a look at "B.2.2 Ampersands in URI attribute
values" of HTML 4 Specification, at:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/appendix/notes.html#h-B.2.2

> Can I validate a page that uses lots of &'s?  It's a mathematical page with
> lots of Greek symbols and other &goodies, so I really must use &'s.  I'd
> really like, also, to be able to display the Validated logo.

The "problem" is that you cannot use "&" directly within URI attribute
values; you may use character/numeric entity references in normal text.

As far as I can see, your page doesn't include "&" within URI
attribute values, so that "problem" won't affect you.  Just validate
your page with the validator, and fix other problems.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org
W3C - World Wide Web Consortium