Re: Website + file bug: W3C check graphics file has no extension

# Ignore this line: ikke sensitiv (not classified)

Rolf Hemmerling <hemmerling@geocities.com> wrote:

>page contains the W3C graphics http://validator.w3.org/images/vh40
>unfortunately with NO extension. This means that the implicit
>extension is .html with most browsers.

Nope. It's *.bmp in "most" browsers. It's also _wrong_ in most browsers (as
Jim has explained).

>Please think about renaming it into vh40.png, as it is a PNG
>graphics file, indeed.

The extension can't be included because it's a necessary artifact of the
Content Negotiation implementation in the web server running on
validator.w3.org (Apache). However, I have a workaround of sorts in my local
copy (just explicit links to GIF and PNG versions in the validation results;
nothing fancy) which will be included in the next patch. I'll send it
(hopefully) sometime this weekend; might be a while before it's applied[0]
to validator.w3.org though.

[0] - If Gerald doesn't decide to do it another way, of course.