Re: OMITTAG NO error when validating

At 05:26 PM 8/9/00, Jonas Isberg wrote:
>When trying to validate this page:
>http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.efd.lth.se/~d97ji/test.html
>I'm getting to following error:
>-------
>Uh oh! I got the following unknown
>error: /usr/local/bin/nsgmls:http://www.efd.lth.se/%7Ed97ji/ny.dtd:148:24:E:
>  omitted tag minimization parameter can be omitted only if
>     "OMITTAG NO" is specified on the SGML declaration Please make sure you
>specified the DOCTYPE properly!
>-------
>
>When I alter my DTD, the error comes and goes.
>First of all, I don't know what the error means
>and second, I don't belive that the validator
>is working quite correct always.

I see that it's an XML document you're trying to validate.  As far as I can
make out, the issue is that the validator doesn't, in fact, validate XML at
all.  What I mean is that when it encounters your DTD, it assumes that what
you have is a full SGML document, and then complains because you didn't
specify rules for tag minimization.  But, of course, XML doesn't even allow
tag minimization in the first place--as with OMITTAG NO--so if it
recognized your document properly as XML and validated it accordingly, it
should hardly complain about that..

The validator at htmlhelp.org appears to have this some problem, BTW.  Both
use nsgmls internally, so (assuming I'm right about what the problem is),
perhaps one workaround would be to pass nsgmls the OMITTAG NO automagically
whenever XML is being validated?  Well, I'm in over my head here and
probably completely wrong.  ;)

--

Robert Szarka
Partner/CTO, DownCity LLC	+1 860 823 3000