XHTML Validator question

Attached please find temp2.htm, which I just tried to validate (using the
file upload function).  The Validator results were:

File: g:\tmcguigan\temp2.htm
Character encoding: unknown
Document type: XML
Below are the results of checking this document for XML well-formedness and
validity.

Uh oh! I got the following unknown error:
/usr/local/bin/nsgmls:http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd:236:
27:E: omitted tag minimization parameter can be omitted only if "OMITTAG NO"
is specified on the SGML declaration Please make sure you specified the
DOCTYPE properly!
You should make the first line of your HTML document a DOCTYPE declaration,
like this:

      <HTML>
	<HEAD>
	  <TITLE>Title</TITLE>
	</HEAD>

	<BODY>
	  <-- ... body of document ... -->
	</BODY>
      </HTML>
Or, if you are using features from HTML 4.0, one of these:

      <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Frameset//EN">

If I remove the first line, the file passes validation.

The file, with the first line in place, passes both the 2000/02/24 version
of Validator and the WDG validator as type XHTML-Strict.

I hope this helps.  If you need any further information, please don't
hesitate to call on me.

Thanks for your quick reply and help with this issue.

Tom McGuigan
User Interface Systems Engineer
770-750-7897
http://recon.alpharetta.att.com/tmcguigan/