From: 	www-validator-request@w3.org [mailto:www-validator-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of Keith Bowes
Sent:	Monday, April 03, 2000 02:48
To:	www-validator@w3.org
Subject:	Re: HTML 4.01 validator error

I was under the impression that valid XHTML isn't always valid HTML 4.01,
but rather you can fool HTML UAs into thinking the slash is a boolean
attribute (that's why, for compatibility, you can use white space before the
slash).  Since the HTML specs say that UAs should ignore attributes that
they don't recognize, there's no harm in it.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Russell Healy" <rushealy@yahoo.com>
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2000 8:07 AM
Subject: HTML 4.01 validator error

Hello

I noticed that the HTML 4.01 validator incorrectly reports XML style empty
elements as erroneous. For example:

<HR /> is reported as an error but is actually correct.

I have assumed that HTML 4.01 accepts XML style empty elements. If not, this
raises the issue that XHTML 1.0 valid documents are not HTML 4.01 valid.

Regards

Russell Healy