Re: character entities using hex

On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 01:01:45AM +0900, Masayasu Ishikawa wrote:
> Ann Navarro <ann@webgeek.com> wrote:
>
> > I've got a student who's attempted to use the hex representation for a few
> > character entities, and the validator is throwing up an interesting error:
> >
> > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmembers.xoom.com%2F_XOOM%2Fne
> > t_miner%2F02%2Fcharent.html
>
> There's nothing wrong in this document.  This document is valid.
>
> > eg:
> >
> >  <LI>Hexadecimal: <STRONG>f7</STRONG> &#xf7;
> >
> >   Error: "XF7" is not a function name
> >

> > Aside from likely interoperability problems in using the hex version --
> > what is the validation issue here?
>
> The SGML declaration used in the validator is broken, namely, failed
> to support Web SGML Adoption. I thought we have fixed this problem [1]
> long time ago, but the bug arises again.
>
> The validator currently uses the following SGML declaration, which is
> broken:
>
>     http://validator.w3.org/sgml-lib/REC-html40-19980424/HTML4.decl

Fixed.

http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/validator/htdocs/sgml-lib/REC-html40-19980424/HTML4.decl
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmembers.xoom.com%2F_XOOM%2Fnet_miner%2F02%2Fcharent.html

> And even worse, PR-html40-19990824 failed to fix this problem as well,
> despite this have been listed in the HTML 4.0 Specification Errata [2].
> We MUST fix this problem.
>
> [1] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/validator/htdocs/sgml-lib/REC-html40-971218/HTML4.decl?r1=1.1&r2=1.2
> [2] http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html40-updates/REC-html40-19980424-errata.html

I forwarded this message to www-html-editor to make sure this gets
addressed before PR-html40-19990824 progresses to a REC.

Thanks for the clear bug reports,

--
Gerald Oskoboiny       <gerald@w3.org>  +1 617 253 2920
System Administrator   http://www.w3.org/People/Gerald/