Re: validator download

Terje Bless wrote:

> On 20.10.99 at 15:46, Gary Alderman <galderman@intelink.gov> wrote:
>
> I need to run it on the internet (aka Intranet, but I hate that phrase)
> behind our firewall and modifying it for local use was just too painful.
>
> (One of) my goal(s) is to make it as easy to install locally as possible.
>
> Unfortunately, the prerequisites can't be helped much. :-(

I haven't tried it myself, but there's a Debian package for the WDG HTML
Validator:

http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/web/wdg-html-validator.html

In theory this should make installation on Debian GNU/Linux fairly
painless.

> >Please consider "parameterizing" variables to permit easy porting. (This
> >includes all links to Internet addresses.) Please also consider perhaps
> >segregating the displayed HTML, particularly "header" and "footer" stuff,
> >into separate subroutines to make it easier to customize.

With the WDG HTML Validator, the header, footer, and most links are
stored in separate files.  You can view the validator's templates at
<http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/src/templates/>.

When I started writing the WDG HTML Validator, I planned to make the
source code modular enough to support multiple output languages
(English, Chinese, etc.) from the same CGI script.  I got lazy in a few
cases and hard-coded English deep in the script (patches welcomed :)),
but for the most part the output is configurable through files and Perl
variables.

--
Liam Quinn
A Real Validator for Windows, http://arealvalidator.com