Re: Parser Error?

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Brian Gilkison wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Lloyd Wood wrote:
> >In theory. Practice can be a different thing.
> >
> >http://www.mg.co.za/mg/m&e/archive.htm
> >
> >Okay, yes, that's an ampersand in the URL and directory name, and
> >they're running Apache 1.3.4 (unix).
> >
> >What I'd dearly like to know is why:
> >
> >http://www.mg.co.za/mg/m&e/archive.htm
> >
> >doesn't work. Yes, it's probably due to Netscape 4.5 not parsing &
> >correctly...
>
> Well, probably because there is no directory with a name of "m&e" at
> that location, while there is one named "m&e"... URLs that are typed
> into your browser's location bar are not CDATA, and therefore not open to
> interpretation/parsing

since 'amazon' in the location bar gets parsed as http://www.amazon.com/
and 'gnu' gets parsed as http://www.gnu.org/ in popular browsers, it
strikes me that handling CDATA correctly in the location bar to ease
copying/pasting between mixed html and text environments is probably a
Good Idea. And rather less processing overhead than the dns matches
mentioned.

L.

wondering if ˜ has already appeared in some printed article's
list of recommended online links.

<L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>