Re: <NOFRAMES> in HTML 4.01 Strict

At 11:51 PM 12/21/1999 -0500, Christopher Atkinson wrote:
>I am afraid that I may have caused some confusion due to lack of clarity in
>my prior message: the pages I am trying to validate do not contain a
><FRAMESET>.
>I am using frames-based navigation. I want to use <NOFRAMES> element on
>non-frameset pages in the belief that this would make navigation available
>for non-frames user agents. (Is this belief founded?)

NOFRAMES goes -within- your FRAMESET document; putting it within an
html document that does not contain a FRAMESET has no meaning and
is not used by any user agents.

To make your pages accessible, there are two strategies you should
use:

(a) Provide a valid NOFRAMES equivalent within the FRAMESET
    document; this can be automated in many cases if you use
    SSI or a generated (non-static) site.

(b) Provide a TITLE attribute on each FRAME element within
    your frameset.

The NOFRAMES outside of a FRAMESET won't do much of what you want
it to do...

Catch the web accessibility meme!                   http://aware.hwg.org/