Re: uri=referer not working?

On 6/25/21 08:46, David Dorward wrote:

> This is a change in browsers. See this article
> <https://plausible.io/blog/referrer-policy> for details.
>
> Chrome and Firefox (at least) now default to
> |strict-origin-when-cross-origin|.
>
> The validation service can’t get access to data the browser isn’t
> sending, so there can’t be a different URL to use instead that works of
> the |referer| header. You can, of course, explicitly specify the URL to
> validate in the query string:
> |https://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fexample.com%2F&profile=css3svg&usermedium=all&warning=1&vextwarning=&lang=en|

Many thanks, David.

I had tried something pretty similar to that, but guessing at the actual
syntax to specify the URI.  In place of /check/referer, I had tried
/check/... and /check/uri=... (more like the html validator) instead of
/validator?uri=...

I have it working again.

> I’d remove development tools from your actual pages in favour of having
> something like this bookmarket
> <https://www.hbdesign.com/bookmarket-validating-css-html/>. (Related to
> that, see the section “Will there be a valid HTML5 icon?” in this
> interview
> <http://html5doctor.com/html5-check-it-before-you-wreck-it-with-miketm-smith/>

Thanks.  This is one of those "groovy" old web pages from the 20th
century -- a bibliography that has been growing for 20 years.  Some day
I'll bring it into the 21st.  For now, I just need to check that I
haven't mis-typed new entries as I continue to add them.

I've recently been updating http: to https: throughout, which isn't
always as straightforward as one might expect.

Cheers,

--

Ted Hall