Value Error : content Parse Error attr(title)

From: Thiers <tjh4@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 20:05:51 +1200
To: www-validator-css@w3.org
For several years I've successfully used the following css to format
page numbers in books I've digitized for Project Gutenberg:

    .pagenum  {
         position: absolute;
         left: 92%;
         font-size: 11px;
         font-weight: normal;
         font-style: normal;
         font-variant: normal;
         text-align: right;
         color: #585858;
    }

    span[title].pagenum:after {
         content: attr(title);
    }

    a[name] {
         position:absolute;     /* Fix Opera bug */
    }

and typical HTML:

    id="Page_9"></a></p>

However the latest book (using the same css) failed to validate and
produced the following error message:

    span[title].pagenum:after                          Value Error :
    content Parse Error attr(title)

I subsequently checked books that I'd done previously (which all
validated at the time) and found that they too now fail to validate and
produce the same error message.

I'd appreciate your advice.

Thiers Halliwell