Re: [Off-topic] HTML 4.01 and the IFRAME element

2012-01-10 23:14, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> Not a validator question (although it is the validator
> that has drawn it to my attention) but is it really the
> case that in HTML 4.01, one cannot use the IFRAME element
> except in conjunction with the HTML 4.01 FRAMESET DTD ?

I don't think it's off-topic. The answer is that IFRAME is also accepted
in HTML 4.01 Transitional. It is not allowed in HTML 4.01 Strict, which
is somewhat odd (and IFRAME is a respected citizen in HTML5 drafts), but
_this_ is off-topic (it's up to the people who defined the DTD). In HTML
4.01 Strict, you can use OBJECT instead, but it's not quite the same
(most importantly, you cannot use the TARGET attribute to open a link in
an embedded OBJECT element as you can do for IFRAME).

Yucca