Re: white-space: pre-line @ CSS = invalid

Emanuelle Hofmann wrote:

> article pre {
>    margin-left: -5em;
>    white-space: pre-line;
> }
>
> Settings were standard, except Profile. There I have chosen CSS level
> 3

CSS 3 is a collection of documents of varying status, mostly drafts, so
"validating" against a CSS 3 "profile" should be expected to be problematic.
The W3C CSS Validator may not always reflect the recent drafts. (Moreover,
CSS 3 contains loads of features with no browser support or with just
experimental limited support.)

> This should validate (http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text – 4.4 White
> Space and Text Wrapping Shorthand: the ‘white-space’ property)
>
> but it shows the failure:
> Ungültige Nummer : white-space pre-line ist kein white-space-Wert :
> pre-line pre-line

This seems to be a bug, or a collection of bugs, in the W3C CSS Validator:
1) The CSS 3 Text module has contained the pre-line value for a long time,
and it is even in CSS 2.1, so there is little excuse for not recognizing it.
When using the CSS 2.1 "profile", the construct passes.
2) The error message contains the property name white-space as a link,
pointing to
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/nulltext.html#propdef-white-space but
this address does not work (you get the nonlocalized error page "Invalid
URL").
3) The German translation is wrong. The English message starts with "Value
Error", and the message indicates generally that a value of a property is
not correct, but the German text claims that there is an invalid number.
[4) The German text of the error report starts with "Entschuldigung!" which
basically means an apology - I wonder what the program is apologizing. The
English "Sorry!" is just a phrase that is often used when telling bad news,
in an attempt to soften them. It would best be omitted, so that translators
don't convert it to an apology.]

Yucca