Re: Orange not a valid color value

Rick Bull wrote:

> So, you are saying that orange is valid only in the final CSS 2.1 (as
> per http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/syndata.html#value-def-color)

Nothing of the kind. There is no "final CSS 2.1" yet, and the concept of
"validity" is just confusing here.

Didn't you read all of my message? (That's typical when people quote all of
a message: comprehensive quoting indicates lack of comprehensive reading.)
You seem to have missed this, among other things:

>> *) Which [CSS 2.1 draft] itself says: "This is a draft document and may
>> be updated,
>> replaced or obsoleted by other documents at any time. It is
>> inappropriate to cite this document as other than work in progress."

There are different syntax definitions for CSS, at varying level of
formality and exactness. Hence, "valid" is an obscure word in CSS context.
But it is pretty easy to check a simple thing like allowed color names just
by looking at a CSS specification or draft (though the most sketchy drafts
might be unclear even in such simple matters).

> but not
> 2.0, and that the validator doesn't check according to the 2.1 final
> spec?

The CSS linter at http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ checks against some
unspecified variant of CSS 2.1 by default and has a dropdown, hidden behind
"More Options", to select the "profile", i.e. version of CSS to be used. I
have no idea what you have done if it applied CSS 2.0 on your stylesheet,
unless you had selected it.

> If that's the case, will the validator be updated, as surely we
> should be using the latest spec to write CSS?

The latest specification is CSS 2.0, but it makes no sense to use it, since
no browser supports it and the W3C does not recommend it, despite its being
the newest W3C recommendation. CSS 2.1 is the de facto excuse for a
specification-like product but it is a draft that may, in principle at
least, change in any way while I'm writing this sentence. Confused? You're
not alone.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/