Re: Floats need explicit width??

Douglas Perreault CPA* CITP wrote:

> Hmmm… I didn’t find the reference that said floats didn’t need an
> explicit width anymore

Paul quoted it and provided a URL to the source. I found it impossible
to miss.

> , but then I don’t see any explicit reference saying they need a width
> either.

"""
A floated box must have an explicit width (assigned via the 'width'
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visudet.html#propdef-width> property, or its
intrinsic <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/conform.html#intrinsic> width in
the case of replaced elements
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/conform.html#replaced-element>).
"""
-- http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#floats

> What I do know is that if you leave it off, some browsers consider the
> width to be 100% and your element won’t float.

As far as I know, none of them are in common use today.

(Please direct responses to the www-validator-css mailing list, and not
directly to me. Thanks)

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk