Re: Floats need explicit width??

Dear Paul -- May I respectfully suggest that your
request that the validator be amended will be
looked upon with far greater interest if you
adduce the specification as supporting evidence
rather than browser behaviour ?  You have previously
pointed out that explicit widths for floats are
not required in CSS 2.1, and (IMHO) such an
argument will carry far more weight than one
based on empirical observation.  The validator's
sole purpose is to flag what is, and what is
not, conformant, and specifically /not/ to flag
what might cause problems in one or more browsers.

Philip TAYLOR
--------