Re: Lexical Error parsing prologue

On Tue, 1 May 2007, Benjamin Tomos Lewis wrote:

> I'm at a bit of a loss as to why this is occurring. When I validate the
> CSS of may site (http://benl.co.uk/) I always get the error:
>
> "Lexical error at line 1, column 5. Encountered: "I" (73), after : "$""

It looks strange indeed - as if the validator saw a page that has
something like

/* $Id: node.css,v 1.2 2006/09/05 03:50:56 unconed Exp $ */

at the start, as in your CSS files.

The response headers from http://benl.co.uk/ contain the header
Vary: Accept-Encoding,User-Agent
which _suggests_ that the server _may_ send different responses to
different user agents. This is a bit far-fetched, though. (I tested with a
response containing an empty User-Agent value, and the response content is
normal, i.e. the same as normal browsers get.)

> This is implying there is something wrong with the XML prologue - I
> believe - however the markup validator is not complaining, and a quick
> read of both the generated page and it's source in multiple editors
> reveals that the prologue does indeed read:
>
> "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>" - no $s at all.

I wonder whether the prologue is useful in practice. It throws IE 6 into
Quirks Mode, and it isn't really needed, at least in this case since
UTF-8 is explicitly specified in the Content-Type header.