Re: erratic "I/O Error: Stream closed"

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, olivier Thereaux wrote:

> Hello Kathy,
>
> On Mar 7, 2007, at 10:51 , Kathy Zengolewicz wrote:
>
>> I have tried the suggested fixes and they did not work. I did try to
>> validate again and it passed. When my instructor, I'm taking a class, tried
>> to validate she is getting the I/O error message again.
>>
>> I have copied the url's. I validated these within 5 minutes of each other.
>> One passed and one gave an error message. Here is one
>>
>> http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.virtuallytheone.com%2Fweek3.html&warning=1&profile=css21&usermedium=all
>

> I can confirm that I can see this issue, in a very erratic manner. Sometimes
> the validation goes through (the CSS validates), sometimes the I/O error
> kicks in. This suggests either a network issue between the validator and your
> server, or a bug somewhere around the HTTP component of the CSS validator.

There may be network issues somewhere. The trace you see below are
"normal", it is not about the client-side HTTP stack, but the server side.

> Yves, I see a lot of lines like this in the Jigsaw error log:
> client-391(http-server-socket-clients:247): caught ClientException:
> [org.w3c.jigsaw.http.ClientException] Broken pipe
> client-474(http-server-socket-clients:1433): caught ClientException:
> [org.w3c.jigsaw.http.ClientException] End Of File
> client-1980(http-server-socket-clients:2582): caught ClientException:
> [org.w3c.jigsaw.http.ClientException] End Of File
>
> Could it be the manifestation of this problem?
> Could it be related to the recent switch to the jdk 1.6?

See above, and no, not related to the switch to 1.6, it wouldn't explain
why I have connections to the box freezine from time to time, it looks
more like network issues.

         ~~Yves