Re: CSS Validator Warning Bug: capitalization of color keywords

Hello, Chris.

On Feb 28, 2007, at 00:26 , Chris Kelly wrote:
> http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%
> 2Fwww.consultgb.com%
> 2Fmainframe_ff2.css&warning=1&profile=css21&usermedium=all

> color: Black;
> and the validator warns that:
> "Although color names are case-insensitive, it is recommended to
> use the mixed capitalization, to make the names more legible: Black".
> Therefore the warning is unnecessary.

Right, this bug is plain silly, thanks for reporting it.

I think I don't actually agree with the suggestion given by the
warning message. Especially when looking at the Colors section of
CSS21 [1] I don't see any suggestion to use mixed case for
legibility. The only mention of case in the spec, AFAIK, is that most
of CSS is case-insensitive. [2]

I will ask the CSS working group for their opinion, and the original
creators of the validator for the rationale behind this warning, but
would be interested to hear opinions from this mailing-list.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#value-def-color
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#q6

Thank you
--