Re: BOM

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, Jan Eliasen wrote:

>>  http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp/dir-ltr.css
>> It has
>
> Not as far as I can see. When I load that in Firefox, all I get is
> what you can see at http://www.eliasen.dk/bom/no_charset.jpg

You can view HTTP headers with
 http://web-sniffer.net/
or with the browser Lynx:
  lynx -head -dump http://www.example.com/

> If you are talking about a setting on the web server
> that must be set, then I believe only few mortal people
> have access to change settings ont he web server.

Oh no! With Apache, every user can do this as I have written in
  http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/bom.css

> But this means, that the css validator doesn't understand
> that BOM either, which is "worse", right?

Not really, since Google cannot understand and cannot index
UTF-16 at all. There is no point to use UTF-16 (let alone UTF-32)
on the web. If you want to be indexed by Google, do not use
UTF-16.

> So please stop using them! (See what I mean?)

You get what you pay for! (See what I mean?)

--
In memoriam Alan J. Flavell
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=author:Alan.J.Flavell