Re: Bug report (follow-up, with digression)

Aaron Bell wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been attempting to test the validation on a website that I am
> developing ( http://bigbert.vfs.com/~dd08aaron/wordpress ), but have
> been receiving an error message.  Instead of the regular CSS report, the
> screen prints, "Servlet has thrown exception:
> javax.servlet.ServletException: Timed out."

I can replicate this.  However, on then editing the URL

	http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fbigbert.vfs.com%2F~dd08aaron%2Fwordpress%2F

to read

	http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http://www.rhul.ac.uk/

I am told

	> W3C CSS Validator Results for http://www.rhul.ac.uk/
	> No error or warning found
	> Congratulations! No Error Found.

	> Valid CSS! This document validates as CSS!

This surely is a bad mis-representation of the facts.
http://www.rhul.ac.uk/ is an HTML document, served with
MIME (content-)type "text/html".  It most certainly is
/not/ "Valid CSS", even though it contains (and links
to) instances that /are/ (intended to be) "Valid CSS".

Surely the Jigsaw validator, when presented with an
HTML document, should report "This document /contains/"
(and/or "links to") "Valid CSS", should it not ?

Philip Taylor