Re: css validation

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007, Ron J Roy wrote:

> I don't know what it takes to get css validated,

The words "validated" and "validator" and relatives are misleading in the
CSS context, but the most reasonable interpretation is that validity is
conformance to the formal syntax rules specified in a CSS specification or
draft specification. This is what "W3C CSS Validator" does (when it
works).

> but why can you not have the same colors in a upper horizontal navbar
> and a rightside nav bar?

What makes you think you cannot? The URL of a test page and a verbatim
quotation of the validator's message would help to see this. Are you sure
you used the W3C CSS Validator?

> Now that I have made these changes, all the validator says is no errors
> and no warnings.

Then your document probably complies with the formal syntax rules of the
version of CSS 2 you chose to check against (by default in current W3C CSS
Validator, the draft for CSS 2.1 specification, which is the best
surrogate for an excuse of a de facto standard we have).

> To me this is still not validation.

Then what _is_ validation to you?

> What are you looking for?

The question is what _you_ are looking for.