Re: background-color:transparant

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 01:36:04PM +0200, Carel Klein wrote:

> I have a question regarding the CSS Validator. In the tutorials it is
> said that transparent is a background-color, yet when I validate my CSS
> file the validator says that I don't have a background-color in my CSS
> file.

Depending on the version of CSS you are using, "transparent" may be a
valid value for the property but not actually a colour, or it might be
a colour. In either case, the problems with specifying a foreground
colour with a transparent background are a subset of the porblems of
specifying a foreground colour without specifying a background colour
at all. Namely that you can end up with situations where the
foreground colour gets displayed against another elements background
colour that is set to something of too low a contrast to read the text
against.

Hence the validator outputs a warning.

> Yet my menu is on a gradient image.

Images may be disabled, unsupported or unreachable.

(I read the mailing list, please direct responses there and do not CC
me.)