Re: result page should be improved

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Vincent Lönngren wrote:

> The thing about the UTF-8 characters might be considered a bug,

Which thing? You are referring to some previous message, but are we all
expected to check on our own what "the thing" was?

> since CSS is UTF-8-encoded by default.

Where did you get that idea? As far as I can see, the registration of the
text/css type (RFC 2318) does not specify the default encoding, so the
general text/* default of US-ASCII applies, by RFC 2046.

> Here is a an example of a CSS file that
> has some non-ASCHII-characters, in case someone is interrested in it:
> http://www.mf.lu.se/mf.css

What is the problem with it?
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mf.lu.se%2Fmf.css&usermedium=all
says "no errors".

> The results page reports itself as UTF-8 encoded, so it's a strange
> problem.

Which "it"? I happened to notice that some non-ASCII characters are wrong
on the results page. I guess _that_ is a problem. And it is apparently
some kind of a character encoding problem in the software, so there _is_
a bug. The style sheet's encoding is properly declared in an HTTP header.

The question is whether the CSS Validator team needs more information
about the problem or whether it suffices to say that UTF-8 encoded data is
incorrectedly echoed. Is a simpler demo needed?