Re: css validator output error when using -moz-border-radius: 10px; proprietie

On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 02:21:15AM +0200, Rapsys|Phoenix wrote:

> I get an error, while my css is in theory valid...
> http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Frapsys.ath.cx%2F

To be valid it would have to conform to the profile that you are
validating against. The W3C CSS Validator does not include any
profiles for "CSS2 + Mozilla Foundation Proprietary Extensions and
Experimental Implementations of Proposed Properties for Future
Versions of CSS".

It might be preferable to throw the "Property -moz-border-radius
doesn't exist" error, but the trouble with the "-moz-" prefix that the
Mozilla Foundation use to indicate their extensions (and the similar
issues with other vendor extensions) is that it violates the rules for
property names (which cannot start with a dash character). This causes
it to throw a parse error and seemingly loose some data from the style
block containing the non-standard property.

It might be useful for the validator to be altered so that it can cope
with such property names more gracefully. Perhaps throwing the error:
"Property -moz-border-radius doesn't exist and begins with an illegal
character".

> Could css validator just output warning for using non css proprieties
> or silently ignore the check on this propriety ???

I hope not, errors are errors and should be reported as such.

I suspect that a profile such as I described above could be written,
but it would probably require the parse engine to be changed to it
could recognise property names beginning with a dash as being invalid
property names rather than unexpected data.

Of course, just because something could be written doesn't mean that
anybody would feel the desire to do so. The project is open source
though, so I'm sure you are welcome to make the change and contribute
a patch. Even if it is rejected you can still use it on your local
system for your own quality control process.