Re: Problem with CSS validator?

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 10:59:35AM -0600, Shrisha Rao wrote:
> I'm getting the following output (see attached PDF file)

Its just text - a copy and paste would be easier to deal with then a
40k+ PDF file!

> when I try to validate the CSS for http://www.dvaita.net -- it does
> not look as if validation is taking place at all.  (The XHTML 1.1
> document is valid.)

Depending on which way you look at it, either this is a problem with
the CSS validator treating a document served as text/html as XHTML
instead of tag soup, or it is a problem with the Markup validator not
picking up a problem with your document. Either way, you "SHOULD NOT"
serve your XHTML 1.1 documents as text/html (according to
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/>).

The error shows up on the CSS validator becuase it tries to process
XHTML documents using an XML parser. (The markup validator doesn't[1],
which is why it doesn't pick up the problem).

One of the rules of XML, it seems, prevents you placing comments
before the XML prolog (<?xml ...). As a result, when an XML parser
hits the prolog it throws a wobbly and refuses to continue parsing the
document.

Given the various interesting effects of using XHTML according to the
spec, it would probably be easiest for you to drop back to using HTML
4.01 Strict (which is well supported by current user agents and
doesn't suffer those side effects).

[1] http://openjade.sourceforge.net/doc/xml.htm