Re: Installing the W3C Validator Locally

* Steve Jenkins wrote:
>"In your CLASSPATH you need jsdk.jar xp.jar. i18n.jar of the Jdk is useful
>too."
>
>Do I need these for when I run ANT?
>jsdk.jar: I don't seem to have either in Jigsaw or the Java_Home folder.

You need a package that provides the javax.servlet.* classes (to compile
the CSS Validator and to use it as servlet). Jigsaw does not ship with
such a package. I use the servlet-api.jar from Apache Tomcat, see
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/

>xp.jar - only exists in: ......./Jigsaw/classes/xp.jar. Is this the correct
>one?

Yes.

>i18n.jar: I don't seem to have either in Jigsaw or the Java_Home folder.

I think the the classes contained in i18n.jar are already contained in
rt.jar (should ship with your Java runtime).

>THEN: I want to run this as a servlet, not from the command line:
>1. "Change the HTTPFrame to ServletDirectoryFrame" - how? Do I do this in
>JigAdmin, if so where?
>2. "The next step is to create a resource "validator", with as class
>'ServletWrapper' and as frame 'ServletWrapperFrame'" - again - in JigAdmin -
>if so where?

All I had to do is to put servlet-api.jar and the validator sources into
the classpath, open JigAdmin / http-server / Docs space / Root / servlet
(right click to) Add resource / Class name:
org.w3c.jigsaw.servlet.ServletWrapper / Identifier: validator / (right
click on) validator / Edit resource / Servlet Class:
org.w3c.css.servlet.CssValidator / Commit

  http://localhost:8001/servlet/validator?uri=http://www.w3.org

would then return validation results for said page.

>In addition - I don't seem to have validator.zip to be able to run the
>command line version.

validator.zip is just a compressed package of the compiled classes. As
you have the classes already (after running ant) you do not need it.
Just go to the folder where ant put the binaries and run

  java -cp . org.w3c.css.css.StyleSheetCom

HTH.