Re: [www-validator-css] <none>

* Victoria Tickner wrote:
>I have a problem validating a PHP file for CSS. I have used the W3C CSS
>validator before to validate previous PHP files without any problem. My PHP
>code validates against XTML 1.1 (using the W3C HTML validator).

That's a bug in the W3C MarkUp Validator, your document is not
well-formed, see

  http://www.websitedev.de/markup/validator/tests/double-utf-8-bom.html,validate

for a simplified test case.

>The error I receive when trying to use the W3C CSS validator is:
>
>	Please, validate your XML document first!
>	Line 1
>	Column 1
>	Content is not allowed in prolog.

The document starts with octets EF BB BF EF BB BF, the CSS validator
chokes on the latter EF BB BF sequence, since, well, content is not
allowed in prolog. You need to figure out why the sequence is generated
and have it removed. It might be possible that your PHP document starts
with a BOM and you include a document that also includes a BOM.

>However, if I save the output generated by my PHP file as an HTML file i.e.
>exactly the same information the W3C CSS validator can validate the page - see:
>
>	http://www.vickytickner.34sp.com/DolphinPod/index2.html

"Saving" it obviously removed the problem, the document starts with the
XML declaration <?xml... which is fine.