Re: Why does the validator complain?

Fukushima-san,

On Feb 17, 2004, at 17:38, webmaster@lilyland.net wrote:
> Why doew the validator complain as follows?
> URI : http://www.lilyland.net/css/main_ad.css
> Line : 0 font-family: 一般フォントファミリー名(generic font
> family)を最後の選択肢として付け加えておく事を推奨します

It tells you that you should use a generic font family... which you do
:)
So the problem is elsewhere. See below.

> font-family : "MS Pゴシック", "Osaka", sans-serif;

You're including shift-JIS encoded text in your CSS, which should not
be a problem if your stylesheet was served with a proper character
encoding declaration.

but because your CSS file is not sent with the proper character
encoding declaration, the CSS validator cannot read the "font-family"
line properly. I'm not certain what it reads, but if the CSS validator
has trouble reading this line, chances are other browsers will have the
same problem...

How to fix: check the "By the way" section of :
http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-css-charset.html

Hope this helps.
--
olivier