Re: CSS validator bug - box model hack

* olivier Thereaux wrote:
>There seems to be a recent outcry on the Web about a new bug in the CSS
>validator that would cause stylesheets using the now infamous "Box
>Model Hack", used widely to avoid unpleasant results with
>non-conforming user agents.

Well, as far as I can tell, this is not a new bug.

>There is, indeed, a (minor yet unpleasant) bug, causing the CSS
>validator to inconsistently return errors (and thus invalidate
>stylesheets) while it should return a simple warning. This bug has
>been, apparently, present in the production version of the CSS
>validator since at least the August 2003 release.

Its been documented on <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/BUGS.html>
since mid 2002 and it's already known since at least mid 2001, see
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator-css/2001Jul/0086>
Tantek even links the beforementioned document and my summary report
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator-css/2001Oct/0070>
on <http://tantek.com/CSS/Examples/boxmodelhack.html> since mid 2003.