Re: -vnd properties etc

Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:55:35 +0000 (UTC) Jūs rašėte:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Rimas Kudelis wrote:
> >
> > I've found a FAQ which states that such identifyers make my stylesheet
> > invalid, but i don't quite agree with that. The thing is that CSS2.1
> > describes vendor-specific extensions which begin with a dash or an
> > underscore ( http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/CR-CSS21-20040225/syndata.html#q4
> > ). IMHO, that means that using such properties does NOT make a
> > stylesheet invalid.
>
> Vendor extensions are invalid CSS2.1. You should only use vendor
> extensions for experimentations; they are not intended for use in public
> situations. Using vendor extensions makes it impossible for your
> stylesheet to interoperate between vendor implementations.

what did you mean by the last sentence? If I understand correctly, the goal for vendor extensions is exactly to avoid confusion with different vendors interpreting unofficial CSS extensions differently. Yes, i of course do understand that my -moz properties will have absolutely no affect for the users of opera/IE/whatever. But If i can, say, style a link, so that its border will have a colour i want (instead of "invert") at least in mozilla, why should I not do that? Then again, if i find a way to acomplish the same thing in opera by using -o properties, why would doing that hurt anyone?

> The spec gives rules for creating vendor extensions so that vendors who
> wish to experiment with new properties and values can do so without
> risking clashing with future specifications. We have had serious problems
> with that before.

The spec is rather unclear then (or maybe i'm not techy enough to read it). For me, "In CSS2.1, identifiers may begin with '-' (dash) or '_' (underscore). Keywords and property names, beginning with -' or '_' are reserved for vendor-specific extensions." sounds like "you may use identifiers that begin with a dash anywhere, but those identifiers will only (or will not) work with an implementation they are targeted at"...

RQ

Šis laiškas išsiųstas pašto WWW sąsaja http://post.online.lt