Re: Bug: Validator allows pseudo-elements on invalid places

 --- David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk> wrote:
> Nick said:
> > The problem is when I submit this CSS ...
> > a:visited.external { color: purple; }
> > a:link.external    { color: green;  }
>
> ... but these are psuedo-classes.
>
> >From the spec:
>
>         Pseudo-classes are allowed anywhere in
> selectors while
>         pseudo-elements may only appear after the
> subject of the
>         selector.
>
> > the validator does not complain.
>
> ... because, as far as I can tell, it is valid.
>
> I think I'll trust the spec over the interpretation
> of Netscape "How
> badly can I emulate CSS using JSSS" 4.x.

Thanks for the info, then.  I've had a couple of other
odd problems with stylesheets on older browsers.  Even
IE 6.0 doesn't support the :before pseudo-element
[have I got my terminology right?], supported by
Netscape 7.1

I guess we also need either of these things:
  a. A set of warnings from the validator,
corresponding to parts of the pretty-print which it
takes the liberty to rearrange, and anything else
worthy enough
  b. A CSS linter (that goes beyond the spec, so to
speak)

Is there a philosophical objection to putting warnings
into the w3c validators?  [OT - it would be nice if
the HTML validator gave warnings for missing HEIGHT &
WIDTH attributes in IMG tags]

Nick Bishop
email replies ignored.
-----
We live in a one-bit world: either it sucks or it
doesn't
-oOo-

http://au.movies.yahoo.com