Re: css validator (How to install the CSS validator on your own machine)

Hello V. Jina,

Yes, you can have your validator running on your own computer. You can
either run it commandline by invoking org.w3c.css.css.StyleSheetCom or you
can run it using Jigsaw, W3C's webserver. To get the validator, you can get
your copy from CVS (http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/css-validator/).
dev.w3.org will give more instructions about how to do a cvs checkout from
this repository.

You can build the CSS validator with Ant (jakarta.apache.org/ant). Type ant
build in the validator home directory.

In your CLASSPATH you need jsdk.jar xp.jar. i18n.jar of the Jdk is useful
too.
Then you have to configure the validator home directory (usually this is
css-validator) so that it can work as a servlet container. For this purpose
you need to have Jigsaw installed (see the Jigsaw pages for a short
instruction (it is really easy)) and then start Jigsaw Admin. Change the
HTTPFrame to ServletDirectoryFrame.

The next step is to create a resource "validator", with as class
'ServletWrapper' and as frame 'ServletWrapperFrame'. The latter should add
itself automagically. The class of the servlet is
org.w3c.css.servlet.CssValidator. If there already exists a file named
'validator', please rename it. It is important that this 'alias' is always
named 'validator'.

Well, start jigsaw and run the validator. Check which HTML you want to
invoke. Usually your URL will look like this:

http://localhost:8001/css-validator/validator.html

Good luck!

Regards,
Sijtsche