W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-validator-css@w3.org > October 2002

Works now - please enhance the CSS Validator tool with more and meaningful error messages!

From: Ralf Hauser <ralfhauser@gmx.ch>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:57:30 +0200
To: <lists@tntluoma.com>
Cc: "Bjoern Hoehrmann" <derhoermi@gmx.net>, <www-validator-css@w3.org>, <www-validator@w3.org>

> >>http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.privasphere.org/ext
> > and it still complains about line 1, col 3 - what's wrong with
> the "x" of my
> > "xml"?
> I dunno, but I set it to
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en">
> and it works fine here.
> Copy available at
> http://tntluoma.com/temp/privasphere.htm
> BTW I also added a space in front of all your '/>' tags.  The CSS parser
> was complaining about well-formedness... I'm not sure if that relates or
> not.
I did the extra spaces and added the xml:lang="en", but this wasn't enough.
You need to be a detective to notice that on the first line, your "iso" is
small caps while mine was "ISO" and that the quotes need to be " and not '.
Also, my DOCTYPE URI was different from yours.

The writers of these tools IMHO really do a great disfavour to the community
by not providing any meaningful error messages. It certainly would be
possible to utter something like <"ISO-8859-1" unknown encoding> or <DOCTYPE
xyz not found at URI uvw...> that would hopefully have brought me on the
right track without having to waste bandwidth and bother you all...

Anyway, thanks to everybody who helped - it now works for me.
Received on Thursday, 24 October 2002 03:56:38 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 23:00:49 UTC