Re: CSS Validation

* ole yearian wrote:
>I'm confused about several things in the CSS Validator.
>
>1) Whenever one of my stylesheets sets the "color" attribute for a
>selector, I get a warning that I ". . . have not set the
>background-color" attribute as well. That's by design, of course! I
>almost *never* want to set the background-color attribute, save for the

Consider I've chosen 'black' as my default background color. Your
stylesheet now reads like

  body { color: black }

Now back- and foreground colors are equal and I cannot read anything of
the site. To avoid such conflicts, the validator warns.

>2) The validator never states how many (if any) errors it finds. It just
>spits back a "validated version" of my stylesheet. 99% of the time, this
>is identical to the input version, save that the ouput has stripped "px"
>off my margin and padding attributes. Unless I'm hopelessly out-of-date,
>adding "px" (to indicate pixels) is better practice than just relying on
>the default!

Zero (0) has no unit, it doesn't matter if it's 0px, 0cm, 0mm, etc.
Other units aren't stripped. The "pretty printer" has a lot of bugs and
shortcomings, I don't think it's a good idea to use it's output at all.