RE: Where are we?

At 17:20 09.10.99 -0700, Michael A. Dolan wrote:

> >2) As a TV watcher, when I've identified a channel, the next level
>of
> >identification is commonly a timeslot, as is done by the ShowView
> >bizarre-digit scheme here in Norway, for instance.
> >I would regard content as being an orthogonal identifier, but
>timeslot
> >seems intrinsically channel-bound.
>
>Can you forward the syntax of the scheme you refer to?

1*9DIGIT, unfortunately.

The ShowView system uses a proprietary algorithm to compress date, time and
channel number into something that's compact enough to be printed in
program listings, and that can be punched with reasonable reliability on a
videorecorder's remote control.

They earn royalties from both the VCR recorder people and the people who
use their stuff in program listings, and have NOT made the algorithm public.

Unfortunately.

                       Harald

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
Harald.Alvestrand@maxware.no